Friday, July 21, 2017

what happened

so I love my mother in law - she's funny, loyal, honest, loving etc... 

we were at a restaurant and she and I got to talking about The Handmaid's Tale.
She's just finished reading it and she yells very loudly
"I read it in one day. It was disgusting, it's like the Muslims"
annnnd.... I slowly close my eyes and shake my head. 


I've given up trying to understand - like what happened to make them think/believe some things like that?
We got to the point a couple months ago where she'd made another comment that blew my mind, so I said "knowing the wide variety of books you read, and how that forces you to see things in different perspectives - how can you still feel these ways and think these things about people who don't look, think and talk exactly like you?" She got up from the table and walked away.

We're a little more tentative on "hot" subjects since then...

But that she can read a book like The Handmaid's Tale and be furious is something I guess?

She had no idea women dressed as Handmaid's were in the capital or why - I suggested she look it up and moved on to another topic...
Speaking of...Texas is in special session right now - super important decisions regarding women are being made...my state senator just tweeted that "public participation is good for democracy" but then posted "#20for20" in the same sentence, basically meaning (the way I'm reading it) that "it doesn't matter and I don't give a shit what you're saying, I've already made up my mind. This will pass."
ugh i get so frustrated!!!!!

Moving on..There was a movie in the 90's called "If These Walls Could Talk" - Cher and Jada Pinkett and Sissy Spacek and Demi Moore -  what happened to it? It should be brought back.

I have like 6 TBR books waiting. It's driving me crazy. I don't feel like doing anything this weekend, especially with this heat....we'll see.