Saturday, June 3, 2017

do people know what they're singing about?

Turnpike Troubadours 1968 just pulled up in play rotation while we do our chores around the house....
got me thinking - when we saw them in Birmingham, with all those guys in their confederate flag gear singing along with this song at the top of their lungs...

Are those guys aware that the song is partly talking with nostalgia about Martin Luther King?
...Or am I misunderstanding the lyrics to this song?
 And maybe their confederate flag pride is about their Southern American pride than pride in oppression of people?

I'd really love to hear the point of view from the band....
I can't even find an address to send a letter to ask (like the olden days).
And yes I'm well aware this thought is a bit teeny bopper-ish for a gal my age 
(is the word "teeny-bopper" even used anymore?...lord I'm aging myself)

And not that I'm thinking they have time to answer -
but still for my own peace of mind.... it'd be really nice to know.
#firstworldproblems


We're heading to a local comedy play tonight in Addison - for something new to do... why not.