Wednesday, January 31, 2018

"can I ask you something that hopefully won't make you mad?"

Dinner with friends and an interesting conversation happened
My good friend said "can I ask you something that hopefully won't make you mad?"

... basically she couldn't understand why I've gotten so "involved in things" 
and I couldn't understand why she won't. 
It all came clear when she said "I'm a white woman, raised middle class a few miles from here, married a white middle class man. I've never really had to worry about anything, so I don't feel like I should be complaining". 
*jaw drop - mind blown* 
I've never thought about it from that perspective...and well she does have a valid point. All I could say was, 
"I understand - and if that's how you feel, then honestly I'm almost envious. As a Latina I took exception to my (not yet at the time) president basically calling everyone who looks like me "murders and rapists". As a woman, I certainly take exception to too many things to mention - and I don't know what it's like to be black or gay, a teacher or an environmentalist etc.etc but I don't like how they're being singled out/treated either. We're losing basic decency, empathy and kindness. I see things going wrong and I can't just do nothing." 
She nodded her head in sympathy....and then we got another round of drinks...and moved on. Nothing else to say I guess....

the forum Saturday - actually more interesting then I expected....
they only have 1 minute to answer a question...that's about right for me. My current rep met full expectations unfortunately. 
Volunteered to make postcards to voters, for my candidate...again right up my alley.
Getting my arts and crafts station lined up.

Chili cookoff - it's kinda weird to walk into a bar you used to walk into "way back when"...everyone's a lot older (then I remember) at 4pm...heh.

Finished
The Duke and I - Stacy Reid - masquerade that he plays along with.
Lucas: by Sawyer Bennett - so i realize that there are many people that are like this character where verbatim she says "for someone who craved to be noticed for so long and never got it, sex filled a big void for me. And the best thing about casual sex is I could just walk away"...characters like this already start off on a bad foot for me cause there's already serious insecurity issues that I can't really relate to. Then add the one-night stand pregnancy and .....