Wednesday, November 29, 2017

so our New Mexico trip (before I forget)
although I'd like to forget the part where my dog was attacked by another dog (also staying) at her sitters house in the early morning a few hours before our flight. Her ear/cheek is swollen and she's traumatized, poor thing. I go between "these things happen sometimes" to "that dog should be euthanized". 
ugh...smh. Now we have to settle with Rover....*sigh*

Back to New Mexico

Flew into ABQ because it was cheaper.
$25pp to take the tram up the Sandia mountain. Is it worth it? Hmm...I guess so. I don't regret it.

Jamie wanted to swing by the Walter White/Breaking Bad house too - meh. They had to put a fence around it cause people were throwing pizzas on the roof. As far as I can tell there's really not that much left to see in ABQ.

Then off to Santa Fe- 50min. drive -  didn't have high expectations but Santa Fe definitely exceeded them!  I am officially a green chile fangirl. Plaza cafe Southside and Geronimo have made my food list.

I found a SF private tour guide site and sent a request for someone to take us up to Chimayo  - since it's a James Beard winner - we'd buy lunch and tell us some history. $100ish.  Scheduled and met up with Bob at the hotel lobby. It was his 82nd birthday and I think there's something so wonderful to talk to someone who's experienced and knowledgeable about so much.
It's literally living/breathing history.
You could see him almost struggle to pick a story to talk about and then he'd start on five different stories at once. heh. Old people are awesome.

The tribes (pueblos) have a very strong presence, super interesting to note their language differences, that they are matriarchal and that they gathered together at one point to push back against the Spanish and were successful....for a time.
He then took us down to Madrid's cemetery and yeah I could've spent a few hours there.

On our way back to ABQ we stopped by the Coronado Historical site in Bernadillo (sp?) - where the Kuoua tribe/pueblo thrived (until he came through). It was beautiful with the Rio Grand and Cotton wood trees and mountain backdrop...I imagine it was doubly beautiful back then. We'd apparently just missed an amazing Fall color change and major air balloon festival - bet that's a sight to see.

Fry bread at the Pueblo Harvest Cafe - yumm...

Overall - it feels like NM is a somewhat forgotten state with people who are nice but a little odd  - and I hope it stays that way. 

Sat next to a single mother with a fussy two year old on her lap on the plane the whole way back. I've no idea why people put themselves through that - i felt exhausted for both of them - but gotta give it to the mom, she kept that kid from kicking the chair in front of her and as calm as possible without numbing her child with a ipad (like everyone else seems to do). In my book that's good parenting - pretty sure (if I was a parent) I wouldn't have that kind of patience.

Moving on - finished watching Alias Grace on Netflix - wonderful acting and interesting story (especially with it being true) def feel like I need to read the book though. That's the bad thing about movies/tv series is that it's almost force fed to tell a story. I bet the book has much more subtleties relaying the info. I'm taking it as a survival story....we'll see.

Tried to read Octavia Butler's Fledgling - and no - hard stop. Don't care if she's a thousand YO vampire in a child's body. It's a childs body. Unacceptable. 
Rock Redemption (Rock Kiss Book 3) - Nalini Singh - I finished it but just can't seem to get into this series of hers. 
Re-read a LK Hathaway - hotelier meets not a pushover.
Irresistible You (The Chicago Rebels Series Book 1) - Kate Meader - hockey. has potential. 

And so we were supposed to go see the Weary Boy reunion on Friday in Austin - no go with BB getting attacked and having to be supervised. We gave our tickets away....maybe we'll see them again....