Monday, July 11, 2016

the 20 second DPD experience

i'm in a hermit phase - maybe cause the heat, maybe cause the news
but I just don't feel like doing anything really.

We did though -  impromptu date night Saturday -
4:30pm - uber'd down to lowest greenville ave and hopped around.
9pm - home (and maybe slightly tipsy ;0))
11pm - passed out.
Good way to go if ya ask me!

Upon further introspection though - i'm gonna write my 20 second DPD experience of that night.

Our uber driver was a nice gal named Billy -
  • from Greenville, TX 
  • been in Dallas a while, 
  • was in the military with one of the cops that was killed and 
  • about to start working at Bank of America again. 
The traffic's weirdly bad - we're almost to the restaurants and a Dallas Police car pulls up next to us.

Jamie and I are sitting in the back seat - I wave to him (a kinda happy/grateful wave like this) - That I naturally wouldn't ever do but felt compelled to do anyway, in light of recent events

I get his attention, he gives a strange look... kinda like this (much less exaggerated but still... startled expression)


He then half smiles, lifts his fingers and nods in acknowledgement.
The light turns, and we go on our ways.

THE END.

And so it didn't really occur to me to really think about it at the time. But it's been a couple days and I think it merits mentioning.

I don't think Billy noticed (or acknowledged) he had pulled up next to us.

Initial impression of him from my backseat vantage point was he was very narrow-eyed/alert/scrutinizing looking into the car.

Was that a normal scrutiny? (I don't usually look over when cop pulls up next to me) . I do know that if I made eye contact with someone who looked at me that way I would most certainly feel intimidated.

or.... he was of asian descent, she was black - was  he looking, in that  manner, into the car because she was black?
I don't know...this was all within a matter of seconds (and I was already on to waving at him.)

Also, what I didn't register is (at the time) the DPD headquarters - 10 minutes down the way - was on lockdown from "an extreme threat".
...so maybe his body language was partially because of that (and everything else they were going through since Thursday last week.)
Cause there's no way in hell I wouldn't be freaked the "f" out either right?!

who knows - just something to speculate over...

Then the part to where I got his attention -
I startled him.
And then he was baffled by my enthusiasm for seeing him.

It's kind of sad as I think about it....there's no question that they've gotten used to being vilified.

Another thought tangent is -  the Dallas homicide rate has increased exponentially (40%?)  from last year. I saw the news story of nobody on-hand to work cold or rape cases because they've been pulled to work other departments.

What is happening out there? Honestly...and I know it's not a good thing to say but more and more I'm glad Jamie and I haven't brought children into this world where (as I read in an article somewhere) "does it always have to be that hatred always forces us to love?"

Moving on - cause whew that was a "deep thoughts" that went longer than I thought it would!

I re-read LOTU - Sabin *sigh* and Klepas' St. Vincent *more sigh* - i guess i'm just in a historical/paranormal switch off mood lately. And I don't feel like trying something new that will disappoint - OH WAIT I did. It was
McAlistair's Fortune by Alissa Johnson - ok I guess? I finished - just not enough to get me to keep reading more of hers?

Also watched the Outlander finale - Jamie even stayed up to watch it with me even though he wasn't all that sure about what was going on.
so...she'll be 20 years older going back? interesting....I'm still so bummed to've not seen Culloden in person. It was on my itinerary...we' would've already been there and back... ugh.