Wednesday, August 31, 2016

My co-worker's husband died of ALS today - on the same day that they're holding a Bris (sp?) for their first grandson. Jewish equivalent to a baptism if I understand correctly?...I'll read up on it...

It affects the whole company...we're only 12 and everyone's connected if not by blood then by connections and time together.
I'm sad for her....and if I'm honest...a little relieved for her.
Sad for him too of course - but...nobody really talks about the burden the family (especially a spouse) takes when your loved one suffers and there's nothing you can do about it but bear the emotional and financial burden.

And it took over so quickly...a year? what a terrible terrible disease.

I think it's wonderful though how the Jewish faith/culture support each other.
Quite frankly (from my outside opinion) Christians and people in general can stand to learn more on altruism from the Jewish community. It doesn't stem from guilt or duty or pity...

And so this year hasn't been the greatest no - but I'm reminded to count my blessings....nothing like death -  and this vantage point of being removed from it (but close enough to see how people deal with it and how it affects them) that can make you think about what really matters right...