Monday, February 27, 2017

the livid and fun tipsy kind

So my sister texted on Friday -
a friends mom got pulled over for no obvious reason by Dallas ICE.
In Spanish, they asked her for her "papers".
In English, she responded "I have my driver's license and insurance, I'm assuming those are the "papers" you're referring to? And why was I pulled over?".

I'm livid - this keeps happening. Here. Down the street.

This is America yes? Land of the Free? Why the F is the federal government pulling people over for no valid reason, in Dallas no less?

The “devil” in me wants to look my most Mexican (meaning walk out the door), “steal” Jamie’s truck (cause I don’t think people would take my MINI as threatening enough) down the street to where they’re pulling people over, not show my ID and only speak Spanish in response to questions just to document all of this.

What bothers me too is Texas...my Texas as a state...is allowing all this. It's one thing to target undocumented criminals...it's a whole other thing to just be ok with native Texans being subjected to searches just because they "might be" illegal.....I guess we're not as independent as I thought? Tell ya what...my state pride gradually lessens daily here. *smh*

And so Friday night I posted a warning on my fb for people who look like me or darker to beware of getting singled out.

and then proceeded to get a little tipsy.


Our bartender's shift ended, we accepted his (and his girlfriends?) invitation to a restaurant bar across the street and so we spent another couple of hours talking with them
out longer than we meant to be out. (oy)
Still I like the impromptu  lengthy conversations with strangers. They're usually fun.

Of course, my (very republican and combative) cousin responded with his usual political mockery to my aforementioned FB post.
So through the night -  and since I was tipsy (and since it was on my own FB page) - I engaged in my cousins mockery with my (honest) playful responses.
After 60ish "comments" (70% of them being his ) he switched to memes and name-calling and so I thus, stopped engaging.
How boring and disappointing to degrade that way.
Boo. (didn't take away my buzz though!!!!)

Saturday Jamie and I basically recovered and went to M and S's going away dinner.
Georgia - I'd almost envy them if it wasn't so freaking humid hot....

Yesterday we recovered more, which means book therapy for me!
Finished:
Friction - Sawyer Bennett - law battle book...I mostly liked it!
Royally Matched - Emma Chase - this one, way lagged behind in chemistry than #1. Still liked it but just kinda disappointing.
Devil in Spring - Lisa Kleypas - lost character just a little in some cases (IMO) but refreshing. Good read.

So we Miranda Lambert's new one