Monday, October 23, 2017

german dirndls, mexican calaveras, bluegrass music - halloween!

I informed Jamie that we were going out for Halloween this year.
He said he might need a tux for his calavera/sugar skull outfit.
I paused and said "no, you're wearing your bacon outfit".
He said, "no i want to do day of the dead too"....
I thought "ok then" and let it go

...but i'd paused and I've wondered at my pause.

It's not like I'm rah rah-ing my Mexican heritage in this case...
(And really, if I'm being honest - if I were going to go the "Mexican culture appreciation" route - between the two of us Jamie would probably win.)
As far as I remember, day of the dead was never really celebrated in El Paso.  I actually had to look it up in high school.
It's southern/central Mexico...Aztec native american culture honors/celebrates the life of the dead this way. And as the people merged it's remained and (obviously) evolved. So heck yeah, to me, it's a wonderful custom. We're rah-rahing that native american heritage custom. Plus it's kick-ass and I love colors and glitter...

ANNND I'm planning to wear a dirndl in a couple weeks for Wurstfest ...I don't have a drop of German/Bavarian/Austrian  - is it any difference?

No...i don't guess so -
before I bought the dirndl I looked up how/why it came about. It's basically representative of Bavaria/Germany's working class.
I have an appreciation for the working class.
And, I've not been to Germany -  but what's more representative of people/culture than their food right? I have an appreciation for german food (most ESPECIALLY the spaetzle! - YUMMMM).
Plus all the German people that I recall meeting are super blunt/to the point. I'm a fan.

So I say if you're wearing something, especially if that "something" represents a culture, if you have a basic knowledge and appreciation for that culture (meaning it's not meant for mockery or to demean) I'm good with it.

This extends to anyone wearing any comic book character (especially Rogue)
and/or
any political figure/statement - you better answer my basic questions cause otherwise *eyeroll*
next...


Lastly, if you're wearing a scary clown costume and I'm startled - I might accidentally punch you in the face (no offence)

Besides that  - wear what you want  - Halloween is just for fun, I don't over-think things :)
Let's celebrate Halloween/Samhain/Dia de los Muertos!

Oh also - we went to the bluegrass festival and it was lovely. A buncha gray hairs were passed out on their lawn chairs. ha. Nothing carries a feel like bluegrass country music.

This gal - Molly Tuttle was there - I'm now a fan
I re-read Lisa Kleypas (Lillian and Wesscliff) and Kresley Cole (Abyss) again.
Oh and tried Kristen Ashley - Furthest Edge - hmm...I mean I read it, def. eye opening but not my thing. Won't search it out.