Friday, November 4, 2016

my book skirt (and how he told his mom about me)

not had time to read and think it might be driving me mad.
I'll see how I can catch up this weekend.
On the plus side I'm wearing my book skirt that I got on etsy today and though I have a failed attempt at a perfect liquid eyeliner line - I look really cute with my black top and black sparkly flats.

one a side note...I have to write this down before I forget -
On the way home from dinner earlier this week, Jamie and I got to talking about how we introduced each other to our parents.

he said he was nervous telling his mom about me - he led in saying  to her "I want you to meet this girl, I like her, just want you to know she's Mexican....".



Not sure why I'm surprised...but yep I'm surprised that he felt the need to lead with I'm "Mexican"...

besides the fact that I'm not - I'm American - but I'm always happy to own the:
my ancestors are from Texas, Mexico and Spain card, 
or the I speak Spanish card, 
or woman card, 
or college degree card, 
or books are rad card, 
or  I'm from El Paso card, 
or I grew up in Canada so Canada is awesome card, 
or baseball yeah! card, 
or  I listen to country music card  etc etc. 

--- sometimes different cards at the same times depending on the subject matter 
(ahh the glory of different affiliations)

and obviously it doesn't matter, I'm closer to my in-laws than I think most other "wives" are with theirs.

It's just... it's not even a thought in my head to lead with a persons ethnicity/race
I mean unless you're in a room, pointing a person out and you don't know their name - "tall, black girl black shirt", " short haired blond,  etc..etc.

I walk into a room and just see people.
Jamie walks into a room and sees how people are different.

It's so weird...and kinda sad...just different points of view, cultures, raised environments I guess....

oh well...I'm over thinking too much right now....
lots of options this weekend - mostly festivals revolving around meat or chili....we'll see!

Kinda in a Great Divide mood - maybe I can pull Jamie away from the Cowboy game to see Mike McClure Sunday? Miracles do happen sometimes....likely not in this case though...