Monday, November 17, 2014

Losing It

For a somewhat relatable (and at times hysterically funny) college girl story Losing It by Cora Carmack was a good read.

New Adult books (I think they're called?) don't do a lot for me. I can't really relate as I pretty much worked all through college.  I had my moments though, I think I had as much fun as I could. Also, my best friend at the time went to A&M and I'd go visit there to get my "college cult fix". That's what A&M is, a cult. It was fun though!

Plus, I went to high school in El Paso. If you wanted to be involved in drinkfests and debauchery all you had to do is head out to the desert or get a quarter and walk across the bridge to Juarez. So basically by the time college came around most people I know from El Paso never went crazy like normal college students do...we'd all gotten the crazy out of our of our systems by then.

Amsterdam's kinda like that too -  we did a thing called Dine with the Dutch (native Dutch folks invite us to their house and made dinner for us) - really what you're paying for is the conversation (so glad we did that; it was fun and so insightful.)

But it's the same for them too... - 10 minutes down the street "that way" was the Red Light district, 2 minutes down "that way" was a coffee shop but natives themselves (as they informed us) don't find it necessary to partake in any of the seedier sides of things. They don't shun it either...yes Exstasy is illegal but if you insist on taking it they have a drug tester at certain rave sites to make sure what you're taking won't kill you....
Interesting yeah?