Thursday, May 21, 2015

la vida es un carnaval *british/french/dutch style*

So I'm packing to see three caribbean islands and loaded up on all kindsa swimsuits (oy), books, bug wipes and sunscreen.

I've learned the bug wipes lesson the hard way in Costa Rica *death to noseeums!* it took MONTHS for the itching to stop. And learning that lesson saved me in County Connemara *death to midges* - I missed a small strip on my arm and those bastards got me still! ugh

We're staying at b&bish places that are WAY more expensive then I ever thought I'd be comfortable paying. Still...the more we travel the less appealing mega resorts are to us.
Our most favorite experiences have been at the smaller places with people who can take time to give you advice or just talk a little. The BEST coffee are served at these places too! I blame middle of nowhere Spain Basque region for making me a coffee convert.

I would say that I'll never again do all inclusive but Jamie's parents want to do the "worst offender of all-inclusives" - a cruise ship -  to Hawaii here in a few months.

We couldn't convince them otherwise. For me, the food is one of the best things about traveling! I don't want to be caged in AND eat stupid boring cruise ship food! ok...i'll stop being a brat now. His parents want to go, we'll go. 

Plus -  that's months away...we got Anguilla, St. Martin and St. Barth's to see. squeeeeeee!

And since I don't know any British or French or Dutch island music, we're playing some Celia Cruz...cause Cuba's at least closer to where we're going...why not. Plus I officially reach my mid-30's next week. Even more cause to celebrate!