Monday, September 19, 2016

I'll remember you...

Did a whole lotta nothin' this weekend and it was grand.

Finished Christi Caldwell's  1 and 2 of the Heart of the Duke series,
Tried the first of Sophie Jordan's Forgotten Princess books - but apparently I've already read it.
Finished Johanna Lindsay's - Defy Not the Heart - another I think I read a long time ago?...big difference from the regency restraint I've been mostly reading to the 12th century. It's not that I didn't like it...but I did skip a little.
Then, also re-read Christina Lauren's

...just found out that my grandfather died this morning.
The last of my grandparents....I don't have many memories of him, (12 children - one of them, my mom - means many many grandchildren) there was just too many of us for us to really be that close. But I do have a few memories.
The one that stands out most is 5 year old me, wearing a pretty yellow dress and his calloused hand holding my hand, walking me to the corner store to get me a candy)
Another is when I first introduced him to Jamie. We walk in, I say "Hi Ito, this is Jamie." He walks up to Jamie, pats Jamie's belly and says, "You like beer. I have Miller Light. Then I will show you my machines." And so my husband (boyfriend at the time) fell in love with him... not too long after he fell in love with me.
I got to talk to him a little more a few years ago when we were in El Paso. Just him, me and Jamie.  A World War II vet, a machinist at White Sands missile range, a garage and yard full of gears and screws and machines and cars.  A funny man. A man that provided for his family. I eat ice cream with a fork because he did. Thank you my Ito - I'm glad I got to tell you and talk to you and really see you...even if just for a little while -  just a few memories, but good ones - I'll remember you...