Monday, July 6, 2015

a reprieve from trying too hard

Good weekend overall.
We had no interest in battling the fireworks crowds and saw Adam Hood instead (finally).
Unfortunately it was at the Rustic.
It's actually not a bad venue - picnic benches on gravel/grass, stage outside - it tries for country casual. You just get the feel that it's just trying a little too hard.

It's one of "those" places for people who never go out, or people from out of town, go to visit to get the "Dallas feel" - basically leaving mostly underwhelmed people milling about.

The girls struggling in their skyhighheels and very short summer dresses on the gravel/benches were a show in itself...
but oh well...all the above is not unusual for it being Dallas. Seeing the contrast, I think it makes me appreciate things with substance just a little bit more. So even though the crowd was a bust (IMO),  Adam Hood pulled through and put on a good show!



Also, had friends over for a fun game night. Besides that I was lazy and did one of my favorite things- Read:

Undivided - Last of this YA series. Left hanging on what happened to some people. Guess that's what happens when you introduce so many in the story. Still...a pretty good ending.
Earls Just Want to Have Fun - Riches to rags to riches historical. Not amazing. Not bad. WTF on the title? Has no bearing on the story whatsoever. Another thing...if she hadn't bathed in months how is he kissing her after a day? I wouldn't imagine dental hygiene is the greatest....i don't know why i'm thinking these things i just do... 
Secrets of a Scandalous Heiress - Running away from problems historical. Eh.
Rock Hard - As I've said, I love Nalini Singh's writing. Of anyone she's one of the most clear pictures in my head when I read her stuff...i'm just not digging her stray from paranormal/scifi. And the lead here was just so timid. I mean I get it, there's a reason why but it still just didn't match. This pair was a little forced.