Thursday, December 15, 2016

can't research the world but I can offer a gal a drink and wish her a happy new year....

a family member got on their Trump train and I couldn't keep quiet this time.

I wasn't condescending (that doesn't ever help anything)...I really thought though, that given his viewpoint he'd have thoughtful/informative feedback on these two subjects especially when I asked the questions...
1)Puerto Rico and how he thinks it'll fare under Trump presidency (given that he's (passionately) from Puerto Rico)
and 2)tax $ in regards to veterans (given that he is a veteran)

and all I really got out of it is that Puerto Rico needs to figure out a way to retain it's entrepreneurs and Obama played too much golf and ruined everything. Trump will bring the jobs back and make this country great again.

So I asked if there was anything good he could say about Obama (healthy lunch options in schools, ending stop-loss, the concept of not denying insurance coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, incentives to farmers/ranchers to open their land for hunting/fishing...Osama Bin Laden?)
nothing....
all I said was "well that's disappointing" and then let it go.

Then I asked myself that question...what about Trump do I like?
so I thought....hmm tax cuts for big companies for more jobs. That makes sense right...
But then I thought ...has this been tried before? what happened when this last was tried?
Interesting! *fox ears lifted*
lets check!!!
so far (with my admittedly homegrown not wholly informed research skills)  I'm finding this statement to be true....
 "in 2004, U.S.-based multinationals corporations claimed they’d use their bonanza to create jobs in the U.S. In reality they actually cut jobs, as well as spending on research and development. The gusher of money was instead used for stock buybacks and to increase executive salaries. Compensation for the top officials at the biggest affected companies increased about 60 percent."

and so... here I'm exhausted. So... yeah...exhausted....maybe I'll pick the enthusiasm back up later. There's got to be some good stories somewhere...

Moving on - I reached out to the gal I used to play tennis with on linked in -  originally from Syria (with family still there) and a Muslim. She got off facebook a while ago for obvious reasons. I invited her to our new years day open house thing. I can't research the world but I can offer a gal (who's likely had a shittier year than me) a drink and wish her a happy new year....

also finished Dumplin' by Julie Murphy...it was a teenager story with teenager angst that can translate in someways to adulthood. Not bad.

And so we Great Divide - Lets Get Out of Here Tonight - (no pun intended heh) cause I feel like it.
I've been sitting here just watching smoke circle 
Around empty bottles of beer 
Lately all I've been talking about's getting out of here 
Let's get out of here tonight 
Throw our hearts to the wind 
Let's fill that highway up with our headlights 
Tonight there's a full moon shining down 
And I'm so tired of watching from this one-horse town 
And we can talk about it all later in the morning light 
Let's get out of here tonight