Monday, January 11, 2016

when HEA fails...


my theme in entertainment platforms lately is apparently acceptance and death -


with watching
- Temple Grandin (so interesting about autism)
- Broken Circle Breakdown (foreign film, Blue Grass, stem cell research)
and reading  Me Before You - good story!   More people should read this. 
Also read more Tessa Dare, cause I needed the adventure and the HEA.  Finished Castles Ever after series but so far I'm definitely liking her Spindle Cove much more, finished Week to be Wicked.

other news...submitted an application to up/coming travel company I read about in a Skift article.
Don't think they're even looking for someone remote...but I figured why not, the questions weren't so cookie cutter and at least interesting to answer.

I've been with my company for 8 years - and it's not that I'm unhappy (which is why I'm very wary of trying something new).
it's not even about the money - i just kinda feel like I'm not living up to my full potential. And now that I'm a little older ...it's kinda disappointing to settle.

it's like I'm stuck in the middle of an old-school mentality of "find a job and stay loyal to it for the rest of your life"  and the new-school mentality of  "i'm worth more than settling"

It's interesting the whole applying for a job thing....
Really I think my resume is pretty well rounded - if I had a company I'd certainly hire me - mainly because I want to get things done right with little-to-no fuckery while still keeping consideration of people around me.  (almost unheard of in the world of media and advertising sales in my experience)

Anyway, it just seems like any position I apply for, my resume just goes into a black hole?
It's almost impossible to get an interview in (or maybe because of?) this "hot" DFW market.

And even in those rare times I do get an interview,  its basically an exhausted (or Dallas complex) person that's really not all that interested in who I am.

So it makes me wonder what kinds of people are considered "good candidates". And when they're hired, was it actually a good decision? or were they just better at bullshitting than I am for the whole process?



I guess it's like Jamie said...you just need to know somebody. But any new and actually interesting people I meet nowadays are at bars and/or when we travel - working is the last thing I want to talk about....I'd rather know what they've seen or where they've been. ugh.

oh well...for now (like most everyone else) just put in $ for the billion+ lotto with my work peeps.