Monday, March 2, 2015

dating here is messed up

Over a dinner conversation the other night, I asked one of Jamie's friends (divorced, early 40's, average/good looking guy ) how dating was going. Here's a part of the conversation:

"You wouldn't believe what's out there." he says (shaking his head).
"These girls are crazy. The pictures they send me ...I mean... I don't even have to try."

"So wait," I say "How do you meet these girls? Online?"
"No," he says "Out. Bars etc."
"And they just send you explicit pictures? Just because?" I ask.
"No, I get their number. We text.  I ask if they can send me a picture and they automatically go there. They're no commitment. No demands. It's so easy. I just go with it.'"

<----------   this is me

"So when you ask for a picture, it's like right off the bat you're seeing how far they'd go - and it's always that far?" I ask.

"Yep." he says.

"Is that what you want?"

"No, not really " he says.  "It'd be nice to ask a girl out, pick the girl up, and go out on a normal date with normal conversation. Like back then."

WOW. Just wow!! What has happened out there in the real world?!!

I've been with Jamie a long time - i'm out of touch -  but it sounds to me the dating world has gone to shit.

At least in Kristan Higgins books she makes dating crazy but kind of funny. I wonder if there are any books out there Higgins-like written in a guys perspective on how crazy women can be?

All this actually ties into the last book I read -  Arranged - as in she's so tired of being in bad relationships that she pays to be arranged in marriage. Several not believable parts and unanswered questions but I'm thinking overall I liked the story concept...

After getting this glimpse of what it's like out there - I can see how it might not be a stretch for people to go to the "arranged marriage" extreme.