Tuesday, December 9, 2014

i lucked out in the in-law lottery

Jamie's parents asked us to mark our calendar to celebrate their birthdays in Hawaii next year. I'm not all that excited about Hawaii (it just looks so touristy!) but I do love his parents.

Apparently I've lucked out in the in-law lottery. I've heard/read/seen some terrible stories - (like recently in Lisa Kleypas' Dreaming of You.)

I'm really just thankful that they raised their son to be who he is. Call me archaic but I appreciate that he's a gentleman, a provider and a handy man. Helps too that I've got him locked down...he's totally in love with me (and why wouldn't he be right? ;0) )

 In that sense I can see an advantage to having a child - raising a son to be like him.
Time is running out to make that kind of decision though.....it's just.... neither he nor I have a burning need to join those ranks. That's a good enough reason not to, right?

Then on another side I'm seeing some of the single women I know say generally disparaging things about men -  in my experience it's women (myself included) that play the major role in complicating relationships...

Kristan Higgins is really great at showing complicated. Like in My One and Only  -  "I'll tell you something, Harpy," he said, his voice almost a whisper now. "It never even occurred to me that we wouldn't make it. And it never occurred to you that we would. You were just waiting for us to go down in flames..."

She has great, so relateable (and other times freaking hilariously funny) lines  in all her books! Love them.